April-June is becoming a very busy gift-giving time for us. We both have birthday's and an anniversary in April--this year we get to add Mother's Day, Father's Day, and Isabella's birthday to the mix. Of course, we're used to celebrating Mother's and Father's Day, but this year the celebrations will be a little different for us...you know, since we are parents now. (I'm not exactly sure if that thought has occurred to my husband just yet.) And while I started planning Isabella's 1st birthday party before she was even nine months old...I have no idea what to do for father's day. So I did what any person my age does these days; I took to Pinterest!!
While its always fun to get ideas from there. Pinterest doesn’t have many local options listed. So, here are some ideas for Mother’s Day fun around Mobile and Baldwin counties, beyond Brunch and a Spa Day.
Mommy and Me Session
OF COURSE this would be my first suggestion! But the truth is, mom’s tend to be very under-photographed. And I am always encouraging mom’s to exist in photographs! Too many times women opt not to be in photographs—they don’t like their hair that day, they want to lose that last 10lbs, etc etc etc. Then time passes so quickly and moms don’t have an professional portraits WITH their children. However, those photos with your kids are so important to have. Not just so you (the mom) can enjoy them, but so years and years from now your children and grandchildren can love those photographs as well. So make it a point this year to #existinphotos with your children.
Laid Back Outdoor Fun
Concert at Bellingrath. The Mobile Symphony Youth Orchestra has an Annual Mother’s Day Concert. This year at 5:30pm on May 10th. Admission is reduced to $6 to visit the gardens and the concert. You may bring a picnic, chairs, and blanket, AND there is an option to reserve a table for 4-6 people for $25. (Pretty sure you still provide food.) Contact Bellingrath for more details.
Gallery of Gardens. On May 2nd the Mobile Botanical Gardens is hosting a tour of several private gardens throughout Mobile. The MGB Marketplace will also be open that day, so you can get started on those projects that the gardens inspired.
- Golf. My MIL loves to golf so gift certificates to courses in the area is a pretty common thing we give. In fact, pretty much all of my in-laws golf, and are quite good at it. I’ve tried to learn, and it can be fun….and also infuriating! Lol. More often than not, I end up agreeing with Robin William’s opinion about the sport. You can view a bit of it here on youtube. And just use google to find some golf courses in the area.
- Sunset Cruise. Being lucky enough to live on the coast, we have several options that range in style and price. You can float around Mobile Bay on an casual, open air boat and enjoy the view, or have a nice dinner and watch the dolphins in Orange Beach. I have links to a few options on my Pinterest board.
Hands on Fun
- Art Class. The Mobile Museum of Art offers art classes for adults, for the more serious artist. For those who want just a fun afternoon, there are several places to paint canvases or pottery for fun; such as the Paint’n Parrot, Paint and Pals Studio, and Paint Party Studios
- Cooking Class. The WindCreek Casino in Atmore has a great, hands-on cooking class.
- Hot Yoga. For the mom that likes to try new workouts, hot yoga is a great way to stay in shape and offer new challenges
Future Things I Want for Mother’s Day -- Gifts with a Little Bit of Adventure
So I will always love handmade gifts from the kiddos, and a quiet day with brunch or time at the spa are great gifts. There are times when I’ll request a little something more adventurous for a gift. I have plenty things to check off the bucket list, so why not use Mother’s Day as a good excuse to experience some of those things?! Here are a few experiences that are relatively close to our area.
- Scuba/Snorkel in one of the reef exhibits at an aquarium. The Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans and the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta offer these experiences. The one in New Orleans also has a fun Penguin Experience that would be a nice add-on.
- Swimming with the Dolphins. Who doesn’t want to do this? There are a couple places from Ft. Walton to Panama City that offer this experience
- Swimming with the Manatee. More of a Mother’s Day Getaway, taking a trip south to Crystal Springs, FL and swim with the Manatee would be a fun adventure for the whole family.
I hope this helps provide some inspiration for what to get all of the special mom’s in your life!